I have been playing around with the new Bohemian Designer Series Paper (DSP). I really like the colours and the funky patterns. Totes are all the go at the moment and I wanted to create a new Tote. It is not a particularly new design using 2 sheets of the DSP but I thought I would change it up a bit. Plus I added a little tab to hang your gift card off. I hope you like this one 🙂
Would you like to make one? Here are the instructions in metric and imperial.
2 Sheets of 12×12 Designer Series Paper (DSP) I have used the Bohemian DSP
Handles: 2 pieces of 20.5cm x 8cm (8” x 3 1/8”) co-ordinating cardstock
1 piece of 28cm x 8cm (11” x 3 1/8”) co-ordinating cardstock
Card Tab on Handle: 2cm x 10cm (¾” x 4”) co-ordinating cardstock
Inside Base: 4.8cm x 20.2cm (1 7/8” x 8”) co-ordinating cardstock
- On each piece of DSP score your sheets at 5cm (2”) on each side. Fold on each of the score lines.
- Cut up on the small score lines at the bottom of each piece of DSP.
- Add adhesive to the 2 small bottom tabs on one sheet of the DSP on the outside. Adhere this to the inside of the long bottom tab.
- Place this assembled piece on to the second piece of DSP which has the right side facing down.
- Add adhesive to the bottom small tabs on the second DSP sheet and assemble on to the bottom of the first piece. Add adhesive to the long side tabs on the inside of the second sheet of DSP. Adhere this to the first piece. Add adhesive to the long bottom tab of the second sheet of DSP and fold up on to the first piece. So it is like wrapping the second sheet onto the first sheet. (The piece at the bottom would be the front of the bag so just check to see what print you want showing).
- On the 28cm x 8cm (11”x 3 1/8”) piece for the handle, place adhesive at each end of the handle ON THE UNDERSIDE. Adhere on the outside of the bag near the top.
- Take one end of this handle piece and adhere to the top of the bag on the outside of the bag. Adhere the other end to the other side of the bag on the outside of the bag.
- Take one piece of your 20.5cmx8cm (8”x 3 1/8”) cardstock and place adhesive on the back of this piece. Line up the top edge of the piece with the top edge of your bag positioning it over the handle piece. And adhere on to the front of the bag. Repeat with the other piece adhering this to the back of your back. NOTE: If you wish to add brads to your bag for decoration ADD THESE FIRST. (Just so you don’t see the back of them inside the bag).
- Fold on the score lines of the small card tab and unfold. Add adhesive to the ends (on the side facing up). Fold over the piece again and adhere this piece to the front of your bag.
- Add your piece of cardstock base to the inside of the card. This provides some extra strength.
Decorate the bag as you like.
Card to hang on the front measures 20cm x 7.5cm. Score at 10cm.
7 ½” x 3”. Score at 3 ¾”
For my card I used the Boho Chic Embossing Folder on the front of the Bermuda bag card. The Happy Birthday is from ‘Amazing Birthday’. I stamped it first onto Whisper White Cardstock in Blackberry Bliss and then again twice on scrap card with Bermuda Bay and Delightful Dijon. I cut 2 of the “HAPPY’s” out of each colour and adhered them over the top of the Blackberry Bliss greeting. The Whisper White piece was matted on to Delightful Dijon and the whole piece was raised up with dimensionals. I wrapped around some Bermuda Bay Baker’s Twine and added a silver button that I had sewed with white sewing thread. This complemented the silver buttons on the bag.
I hope you like this version of the Tote Bag. It’s a good size for those larger gifts. Enjoy making them.
Have a happy weekend. I hope it’s a crafty one for you. It’s a long weekend here so I hope there is some time to create this weekend.