I had a thought the other day to make a fancy little SATCHEL ENVELOPE BAG for a special card. Why give it in a boring white envelope! So here it is.
Here it is with the card. I actually made the card a few weeks ago.
This is so easy to make. The longest part is the decorating. I will show you how.
CREATE YOUR OWN ENVELOPE SATCHEL
NB: Check the pattern on the piece of Designer Series Paper you use. When you fold it half the pattern at the back will be upside down. You want an all-over pattern.
1. Cut your piece of 12″x12″ Designer Series Paper in half vertically. I used the Share What You Love Specialty DSP.
2. Score it on the short side at 1.2cm (1/2″). Turn your piece 180″ score it at 1.2cm (1/2″). You should have 2 score lines running down each long side.
3. Turn your piece 90′ Score it at half way – 15.2cm (6″). Fold on the scored lines.
4. Cut up on each of the score lines in the lower half of the section and the cut these off. Check the photo below.
5. Add adhesive to the outside of the long tabs. Fold up the bottom piece and carefully adhere the two sides together lining them up on the edges.
There is your satchel already.
Cut a strip of co-ordinating card about 2 cm wide (3/4″). This is the length of a full sheet of card. Score one end at 1.2cm (1/2″). Add adhesive to the back of this short end. Fold around the back of the satchel at the top. Add adhesive to the rest of the strip on the back of it and adhere this along the top edge going right across the front around to the back on the other side. Trim off any over-hang if need be.
For the handles cut a strip the length of a sheet of card and at approximately 1.2cm (1/2″) wide. Cut the strip in half. Firstly, to help the strip curve gently run it back and forth along the edge of the desk top or similar. Add adhesive to the ends of each strip on the back of it. Place one end in position on the front of the bag. Gently curve the strip and adhere the other end on to the front. Repeat with the other strip for the back.
To finish, cut 2 ovals from the Stitched Shapes Framelits. Cut them both in half. Adhere these over the ends of the strip on the front and the back. Add pearls to finish if you like.
I made a more masculine version. Not sure of this one but what do you think?
This one is made from the Nature’s Poem DSP. I added the strip across the top edge. Instead of adding handles I added a ‘V’ Shape strip and added some gems to the front. Is it “manly” enough? Maybe I should make it more of a tie shape.
EDITED TO ADD: I have been pondering on this last project for the past few days. I wasn’t particularly happy with it. So today I changed things up a bit and thought I would show you. I am still not sure about it but I think it is a bit better. It’s not any worse anyway. 🙂
OK, I hope you like these dressed up satchels for your cards. Do you think you would make them? You could easily add a Gift Card in it and even maybe a small bar of chocolate.
Have a great day. See you again soon,